My account of my hiking and geocaching activities, and the photographs I take along the way.

2013 Photo Calendars now available!

Support independent publishing: Buy this calendar on Lulu.

Blog Archive

Profile for BF Hammer

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sunday June 10, 2012: Durward's Glen

Housework and chores. That sums up most of my spring. There was a few interruptions, Crazylegs Classic in April, SW AirFest during Memorial Day weekend. I didn't take time to share pics of those here. Now I'm pretty caught-up on the work, and I'm getting out again for some walks.

I just had a couple of hours for this day, so I headed out a place I scouted last year. Durward's Glen, near Merrimac, WI. It is just a short drive off of Wis highway 78. The land was originally owned by the Durward family, then transferred to the Catholic Church long ago. It has been used by different Catholic organizations and has had it's stewardship transferred a couple of times in recent years. Right now volunteers are keeping the trails and buildings maintained.

My first stop was a county park a couple of miles away to attempt to log a cache, but there was a parade of vintage/antique tractors just leaving the park, with some people lingering around. Weird coincidence, but it was the tone of the day. I didn't stop, just turned around and drove to Durward's Glen. At the parking lot to the Glen, it had many cars, and it was filling up. Apparently the Knights of Columbus were having an outdoor mass on this day. Yes, I'm not catching any breaks. I grabbed my gear and just followed the very short trail that takes you to the Glen.










I took a series of normal and infrared photos here, with some interesting contrast.

















  That is the main geological feature, and it is beautiful. The reason for having a religious retreat here for decades.

I tried to walk more trails, most of the way to the North was sort of blocked by that outdoor service going on. All trails that way went past the buildings. I explored a pond nearby, and walked up the bluff to the South and found 2 very old cemeteries. There also was this fountain.
















A caterpillar in the cemetery.



This grave marker was so sad to find.



Some more wildlife.



A willow tree at the pond in infrared.



The visit was sort of a bust due to not being able to explore more. It was heating up to being grossly-hot, so I called off the other "park-n-grab" geocaches nearby and drove home. I rode the Merrimac ferry on the way back, and took some more infrared pics for fun.




Official score: 0 logged geocaches, but some fun anyhow. Durward's Glen itself is a "virtual" geocache, but I am unsure I found the correct answer to get credit for the find. I didn't bother trying to log it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers