My account of my hiking and geocaching activities, and the photographs I take along the way.

2013 Photo Calendars now available!

Support independent publishing: Buy this calendar on Lulu.

Blog Archive

Profile for BF Hammer

Monday, September 6, 2010

Saturday September 4th, 2010: White Cliff State Park, Sherwood Wisconsin

It's Labor Day weekend, and Saturday was forecast to be ideal weather for hiking. Partly cloudy, breezy, temperature down in the 50's near 60. I had been wanting to get away from home on an overnight trip, decided to explore the east shore of Lake Winnebago. There are a couple of county parks there along The Ledge, but I discovered they were packed elbow to elbow with campers. I drove on to High Cliff State Park, where there was a lot more space to accommodate campers and day-trippers like me. I had previously downloaded several dozen area geocaches to my gps receiver in anticipation of such issues.

After purchasing my seasonal park pass (I'm figuring on visiting another state park or 2 before the year ends) I parked near the south camping area where there is access to 2 or 3 trails. I started on the Effigy Mounds trail, then moved to the adjacent trail that parallels the upper side of the high cliffs (part of the Niagra Escarpment, or locally called The Ledge).

First there was a quick micro-sized geocache withing view of my parking place.

Looking out over Lake Winnebago from up high.

Just some more views as I walked this upper trail.



A connecting trail led to a wooden stair along the cliff, then down the steep slope to the lake.



Did I mention how windy it was today? Not a mosquito bothering me at all, but I had long pants and a pullover on.

There was a trail-loop by the lakeshore, I just walked about half of it.

There was a sign posted that a portion of this trail was closed due to an "unsafe stair". Wasn't sure what that meant until I found this board-walk. Definitely looked unsafe to me. Turned back and walked out and up the way I got down here.


Back up that steep hill. Around 200 feet or so is what my GPS said, but it has no internal altimeter so that is a loose guess.


Up on top again. Now let's try to find more geocaches!

Had to bypass one because it was a bit too near to the camping area for my taste, and there was a couple carrying buckets wandering in the woods in the vicinity of where my GPS was pointing. I think they were gathering some berries. I switched navigation to the next geocache, a bit more secluded.

It's named "The Eyes Have It". Dropped in a toy car and signed the log.

Since I was sitting on a stone fence while retrieving that cache, I liked the scene enough to take a photo.

Crossed over to a horseback trail in a more prairie-like part of the park. The next closest geocaches were indicated to be around these trails.

One location was definitely supposed to be around this. Looked all around, and just had to give up looking. Too many hiding places in the tall prairie grass and junk.

This wood pile was also within the circle of searching, but no luck here either.

I had gone over 4 miles at this point and started navigating my way out and to my parking area. I was glad I marked it on my GPS right then too. As I followed the trail out, I noticed I was getting pretty close to another geocache, and decide to make a try for it. It was a micro by the horse-trail parking area. Thank goodness it was empty right then. See the container in the tree?

I first try to look for it on this horse-hitch. Almost stuck a finger into this hole in the side, was very glad I looked first! At least they were inactive in the cold temperature. BZZZZZ!

Walking back out.

Got to my Jeep, noted I had gone about 5 miles in over 3 hours. I drank some soda and ate some food I packed before leaving home. Here's the view of my walk overlaid on Google Earth. The computer rendering doesn't show the vertical cliff part.

I left the park wanting to explore even more of it. Too bad my legs wouldn't carry me more that day. As I had intended, I drove north towards Green Bay, got a room, cleaned up, and spent some time at Lambeau Field. No pictures from there like I intended, I had taken out the memory card to look at the pictures on my computer, then forgot to reload the camera before going. Also was a bit too hungry and tired to try looking for the 2 micro-geocaches located at the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers