My account of my hiking and geocaching activities, and the photographs I take along the way.

2013 Photo Calendars now available!

Support independent publishing: Buy this calendar on Lulu.

Blog Archive

Profile for BF Hammer

Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday September 5th, 2010: University of Wisconsin-Green Bay campus.

Day 2 of my Labor Day weekend trip found me meeting with a new friend for breakfast. I had been corresponding with Dan, who teaches at the UW-Green Bay campus, for months now as we both frequented PMWF and we discovered many mutual interests. The main goal was to exchange some ideas for nature photography, and the UW-Green Bay campus offered convenient opportunity for doing just that. I did research before leaving on this trip, and there are no geocaches placed here. I speculate that the college might have a no-geocache policy.

We started down by the shoreline of Green Bay, cameras, tripods, and 70-300mm zoom lenses in hand.




A blue heron

White heron


Walked along the trail system, and the monarch butterflies were out in force in the prairie sections.


Explored a pond, saw some frogs, but not quick enough to photograph.

Monarchs and honeybees living together in peace.

A gray squirrel striking a pose on the main campus

Back down to the shore before driving to another section


Just watched these 2 for a minute and decided it also made a good photo-op.

Drove up the nearby Niagra Escarpment (or The Ledge, same geologic feature I was exploring yesterday at High Cliff State Park) to this observation tower

View at the top is a bit obscured right now by trees. You can see across the bay to downtown Green Bay (sort of)

Dan worked so hard at trying to find some amphibians to photograph. He finally turned over a rock to reveal a salamander on the trail under the observation tower. Not easy to photograph with a 50mm prime lens in the shadows. Used a fill-flash here.


By now it was past noon, and I wanted to get home this day to beat the Monday rush on the highway. Dan and I bid our farewells, He led me back to the correct highway for me to get home, and I was gone, after a stop for lunch and gas. There were a lot more photographs, but I confirmed once again that I am not the best around at shooting at extreme telephoto lengths. More than half were too blurred for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers