My account of my hiking and geocaching activities, and the photographs I take along the way.

2013 Photo Calendars now available!

Support independent publishing: Buy this calendar on Lulu.

Blog Archive

Profile for BF Hammer

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sunday July 10, 2011: Pewit's Nest near Baraboo, Wisconsin

Had grand plans for visiting multiple parks and State Natural Areas in the Baraboo Bluffs this day. Pewit's Nest in particular was the prime goal, and my sister was wanting to go there too. I chiefly wanted to photograph the small waterfalls there.

Plans are meant to be changed though, as the weather forecast for the day was wildly wrong. I did pick-up my sister at her home and we made it to Pewit's Nest pretty early, before 8:30 am. I could see some overcast to the west, but we still had partly sunny skies. I carried a heavy amount of camera gear, including tripod, and about 3 extra lenses in a backpack. No geocaches in this area, just out to hike and take pictures.

Taking the low-trail, we cleared the woods and entered a gorge with a sandy shore.





Setting up a tripod very low to the ground, you can just see into a small waterfall through the rock walls





Then we walked around to the high-trail, and are now looking down from the top of the gorge. A ledge here just wide enough to pitch my tripod once again allowed me to photograph what I believe to be another falls just up from the earlier one.











Further upstream I could just see this rapids



Also took a walk around the other trails. It's not a large place, perhaps a mile of walking from parking and back total.




I also was carrying an infrared-converted camera and tried to take some shots. It was clouding up and beginning to shower rain so the exposures are not that great.




Got out and then drove across Baraboo to go to Man Mound County Park. I logged a new geocache there hiding in the fence. It was threatening more rain, so I didn't take photos. The clouds burst as we started to leave. So no more photos on the day. Just scouted out a couple of the other locations I had hoped to visit but never left the vehicle. Drove home and processed my wonderful photos of Pewit's Nest instead. Ironically, it never rained at my home at all for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers