My account of my hiking and geocaching activities, and the photographs I take along the way.

2013 Photo Calendars now available!

Support independent publishing: Buy this calendar on Lulu.

Blog Archive

Profile for BF Hammer

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday April 21, 2012: Cross Plains Wisconsin

2012 has been a weird year, weather-wise. Basically no snow that stuck around for long. Two weeks of summer weather during the middle of March. Now in April, temperatures are closer to normal.

The early warm weather had me getting spring chores done around the home about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Now today, I took some time for a short geocaching trip. I was in this same trail area last summer, but now there are 3 new geocaches to search for. Also I learned that the trails have been expanded.

I arrived mid-afternoon (I was working at chores and errands most of the morning). The mostly sunny day was becoming a mixture of sun and clouds. Just enough green on the trees to make the scenery more pleasant.






Well I wonder if that huge pile of wood back there is the geocache location.




Apparently behind the huge pile of wood.




There it is. Under some wood. LOL




First geocache. Two more to go.




There is a bit of a view here.




I stitched a 180-degree panorama shot.




Next geocache site.




It was behind the tree with the double trail markers.




Under some more of that wood. LOL




The next one was a bit more exposed. I tried to conceal a bit better.




Vultures hanging out over Cross Plains. I believe that is the village fire department down there.




This overlook had to have been the location of somebody's home. There are  utility poles leading to here, and these front-steps leading to nothing.




This structure was making me think hard for a while to figure out it's purpose. At the top of the pole are clusters of electrical outlets and eye-bolts. Down below on the rails are more eye-bolts. I decided it's a Christmas tree display. They would string lights in lines from the top to the rails below. It would form a generally conical shape and be visible from most of the village at this hill-top overlook.




These butterflies were all over the place today. They didn't hold still to photograph much.




And the Google Earth overview of my hiking trail. 3.4 miles in about 2.5 hours. I didn't overwork myself today.

I hope all the vertical walking will get me warmed up for the Crazylegs Classic next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers