My account of my hiking and geocaching activities, and the photographs I take along the way.

2013 Photo Calendars now available!

Support independent publishing: Buy this calendar on Lulu.

Blog Archive

Profile for BF Hammer

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Saturday January 21, 2012: Token Creek, Wisconsin

Late in November I indulged in an idea I've had for a couple of years. I bought a pair of military-surplus snowshoes. As would be expected after making such a purchase, there has been a decided lack of snow this season. I also used some Christmas money to purchase a new all-in-one zoom lens.

Finally over the past 10 days there has been some snow accumulation, most recently about 5 inches deposited on the 20th. I worked at all my need errands in the morning, and then gathered up my snowshoes and my new lens to try out both at the Culver Conservancy in Token Creek. It's a very nearby location and I've been there often, but I only had a couple of hours left of daylight and I needed to gain some experience with the snowshoes before trying some other locations.

Arrived around 2pm, conditions mostly sunny.








The driveway is gated and unplowed in winter, have to use a small parking lot at the road and walk in.


The main feature of this park: the artesian springs of Token Creek.




On down the trail leading east.



Some lessons learned along the way: Take the extra time to make sure the bindings are on right (I had the right foot correct,  the left was not fully around the heel and was slipping side-side) to reduce fatigue. Also the wider stance adds to fatigue. I just traveled a short distance and worked my way back (with frequent rest stops).

Some more shots taken during rest stops.




There was a muskrat feeding on the live vegetation (the warmer spring water feeds right into here, preventing the water from freezing).


I wasn't the only one to spot the muskrat, but he wasn't on the dinner menu this time.




And there are horses on the farm across the road from the parking area.


So I spent over an hour gaining experience with the snowshoes and explored my new 18-270mm zoom lens' capabilities. I'll work with the snowshoe bindings for next time and check out other parks in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers